Illuminated manuscript on parchment completed in Prague on 28 Av 5249 (July 26, 1489), measuring 24 x 18 cm. (9 1/2 x 7 in); 922 pages, bound in 3 volumes. Each page has 2 columns of Bible text, flanked by Rashi's commentary. There are 84 illuminated pages, with illuminated incipit panels, and 3 engraved and handcolored title pages inserted in the 18th century. The text is in square Ashkenazic script, vocalized and with cantillation marks. Rashi's commentary is in cursive Ashkenazic script. Colophon at the end of the third volume in form of poem of thanks.
Matthathias ben Jonah, of Laun.
Yisrael bar Pinhas.
Manuscripts, Hebrew -- Czech Republic -- Prague; Illumination of books and manuscripts, Jewish -- Czech Republic -- Prague.
Matthathias ben Jonah of Laun, Bohemia (scribe), in the home of Yisra'el bar Pinhas of Prague; Seligmann (Zeligman), head of the Jewish community of Königsberg; Moses Mendelssohn; Daniel Itzig Jaffe (Yaffe), community leader in Berlin; A. Fränkel; Abraham Geiger; Hochschule für die Wissenschaft des Judentums; Purchased by Ludwig and Erica Jesselson after a judicial settlement and presented as a gift to Yeshiva University's Mendel Gottesman Library.
Avivi, Joseph, Rabbinic Manuscripts (New York : Yeshiva University Library, 1998), item 3 (p. 1-2); Highly Important Hebrew Books and Manuscripts, Sotheby's catalog (auction code: SAMUEL 5209), June 26, 1984, item 39; Prague: the Crown of Bohemia, 1347-1437, Metropolitan Museum of Art catalog, edited by Barbara Drake Boehm and Jiří Fajt (New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2005), item 79; Zafren, Herbert C. "From Hochschule to Judaica Conservancy Foundation : the Guttmann Affair" in Jewish Book Annual 47 (1989) 6-26; reprinted in Jewish Book Annual 54 (1996-1997) 44-65.